Blog 6 Rankings

Instead of writing separate paragraphs, I’ll just make it simple and number these essays/stories in chronological order as I rank them based on my criteria for creative nonfiction. So far my definition of creative nonfiction is based on these requirements:

• Subject at hand in relation to self
• Literary devices and metaphor
• Plot/character/scene/dialogue (showing not telling)
• Reflecting Circling deeper and deeper
• Organization and sequence of events-
• Presentation of experience


1.“Out There” in my opinion was the hard to understand. Yet based on the criteria for creative nonfiction, she makes a reflective analysis indirectly. She was really writing about freedom with being out there. She's coming to terms with being out there. This piece was conveyed through a storyline. It allowed a reader to feel some of the emotions of the writer, but personally I was not quite drawn to it.

2. “On Keeping a Notebook” was an interesting essay as well. Didion's main focus was expressed through reflections on her old journal entries. Here Diddion's point is about how keeping a notebook does something for her. Through her essay she is able to tell the reader how writing allows her to connect with herself, not necessarily the events that are going on- instead she makes sense of what she sees. I believe this somehow fits my definition of creative nonfiction. The only problem I have is that I’m not really able to get “into” the story. It seems to random for me to be able to connect and feel any type of emotion towards this piece.

3. “Superman &Me” on the other hand fits my definition more that Diddion’ piece. Here, Alexie started reading superman comics. He overcame his past adversities and stereotypes as an Indian. This essay shows that the writer has made a distinct connection between himself and his relationship to his subject. He also portrays his story in a way that a reader may allow his or herself to feel sympathy-empathy and understanding towards the writer’s past struggle and accomplishments. It effectively exhibits the connection between the writer and the subject. It used literary devices and metaphors. It contained Plots, characters, scenes and dialogs. It also had an excellent presentation of experience.


4. Bret Lott’s “Toward a Definition of Creative Nonfiction” seems to be more informative than the other stories I’ve read so far. I don’t think it’s very creative at all. This in my opinion is definitely an essay. Based on my analysis, it refrains over and over again to make a point, the writer uses Accessible language, Short paragraphs, Lots of quotes from other CNF writers and, makes a point and then illustrates it with an examples. I believe these elements are not really features of fiction. I do however notice that like most fiction stories and creative nonfiction stories, it is written in first person and with confidentiality the writer talks to the reader.

5. Montaigne’s “That Men Should Not Judge” was not my particular favorite. I don’t think it necessary meets my requirements for creative nonfiction.I can see why it can be considered a parent of creative nonfiction. It does embody some of the elements of creative nonfiction writings. Montaigne’s relied on examples of other writers and indirectly explores his relationship with his subject. Unlike creative nonfiction writings. Unlike many creative nonfiction writings, he does really portray much emotions through his writing. Instead he writes with a more analytical approach. I can not really feel anything but confused when I read this essay. I don’t think that is the type of feeling he intentionally wants the reader to have upon reading his works. I also did not see a plot in this writing. I believe a plot is necessary when writing creative nonfiction.

6. Orwell’s “On Shooting an Elephant” was more like a creative nonfiction piece. It successfully displayed the relationship between the writer and the subject at hand. It used Literary devices and metaphors. It mentioned Plots, characters, scenes and dialogs. It also had an excellent presentation of experience. The only mediocre component of this writings was the topic of reflecting and circling and deeper.

7. Kincaid’s piece was enjoyable. I think it fits my definition of creative nonfiction. It displayed the writer’s relationship to the subject at hand. It allowed a reader to feel the emotions of the writer. Kincaid evoked memories…she allowed me to reflect on my past experiences and analyze myself then from what I know now.

8. Drummond’s piece was my absolute favorite. I felt the tension and nervousness of the writer. She was able to reflect on her past experience and her emotions that she was experiencing. She was able to portray her feelings in her writings and allow a reader to examine his or her beliefs about the situation. She sucks the reader right into her story and brings the reader along her rollercoaster of nervous emotions. There’s a plot, set of characters, relationship to topic, presentation of experience, scenes and dialogs.

9. Danticat, and Schwartz both have portrayed the writer’s relationship to the subject at hand. Both have plots, characters, settings, reflections,and excellent organization of sequence of events . These two writings fit my definition of creative nonfiction.

0 comments: