Reflective Responses

Reflective prompts

1. What are your plans as a writer (how do you expect to use writing in your future)?I want to continue writing and will try to publish some works on Kartika Review online. I also plan on compiling more of my writings in hopes of publish a book in the future.

As I writer, I plan on taking some courses overseas. I have an uncle who is a an author and professor in Ateneo University. I plan on taking some more creative writing courses there in hopes of publishing in the Philippines as an Filipno American writer.

2. Describe any changes in your writing style
I have tried a variety of techniques in this class. I am starting to write about experiences and in my writings I’m trying to reflect on what I know now as an adult. I’m not quite where I would like to be as a writer and do not have much experience writing creative nonfiction, so I guess my writing style has changed a little bit. In this class, I learned how to write based on my relationships with certain objects such as photographs and my walls. I never thorugh I’d write about these things in the past.

3. Describe any changes in your writing process
Writing thoughts in a journal is something I have never done before. Looking back at my journal I realized that most of my entries reflected on life and death. I think it is helpful to keep a journal in order to help me find a topic to write about in the future.

4. Describe any changes in your attitude toward/interest in/understanding of writing in general, and CNF in particular.

I’m still interested and I want to read some more creative nonfiction. I really enjoyed Kincaid and am interest in reading more of her works. I guess this course has opened up doors of curiosity. When the semester ends and I have time to read for pleasure, I will definitely look into more CNF pieces.

5. What have you learned about yourself as a writer?
As a writer, I learned that I have a strong relationship with my ideas about death, life and family. I also learned that I have a harder time writing when I’m under pressure. I feel if that I need much more time in order to revise some of my pieces because they are quite personal.

6. What features of your writing do you feel are most important for you to work on?
I would like to focus on my rhythm and my vocabulary and tone. I do like to write in prose but I also feel that I have too many “unnecessary details” in my writings. I guess I need more advice in cutting out the “crap” that will not interest anyone.

0 comments: